Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Google Me!

[ad_1]

Maybe I'm getting lazy. Or, it could be cockiness. But I like to think of my strategy as a very practical way to sell.

Increasingly, when I'm pitching people I invite them to "Google me."

A few weeks ago they would have found a couple of million documents, but the gigantic search engine is becoming more refined, seemingly by the minute. This morning, that figure has been trimmed down to a svelte 346,000 entries.

Pleasantly, most of them, at least in the initial few dozen pages, are relevant.

Why would I entice prospects to Google me, when by doing so, I am implicitly asking them to enter a space with limitless competitors? Isn't that about as dumb as sending out a proposal and attaching a stack of your rivals' ads, for reference?

Why not commit a number of other sales sins while I'm at it, like hopelessly confusing potential buyers with too many details? Maybe, I should hesitate in asking for the sale, or forget to close, altogether!

Actually, there are five very good reasons for sending prospects to Google:

(1) It shows self-confidence.

(2) I'm saying my professional life is an open book.

(3) Implicitly, I'm challenging prospects to compare the sheer number of "hits" with those they'll find searching anyone I'm competing with.

(4) I assume they'll read the most relevant articles and entries, creating a digest of self-selected persuasion to support retaining me.

(5) Heck, they're probably going to check me out, anyway, so I may as well make this a stepping stone instead of a stumbling block.

If you or your company is a leader in the field, your Google entries will probably be substantial, without a lot of search engine optimization. Take advantage of this and transform it into an endorsement.

There is a perception, and perhaps a very well grounded one, that the more entries you have, the more of a leader you are. Seize the high ground by making it a credential, a badge of your desirability.

Say, "Google me!" and see what happens. If they come back saying they are impressed, or better yet, they buy without hesitation, you'll know this gambit is for you.

[ad_2]

Source by Dr. Gary S. Goodman

No comments:

Post a Comment